Thursday, March 09, 2006

The Best Independently Published Handmade Comic Book Series Happen on the Road

Stuck at home with no plans to travel anytime soon and eager for an escapist fix?
About to embark upon a long haul flight and desperate for reading material?

Check out True Travel Tales.

TTT is an independently published handmade comic book series of "real-life travel adventures, with stories of Mexican lizard gods, sex in ancient temples, punk rockers on fire, accidental cliff-diving, and more." I discovered True Travel Tales while exhibiting at SPX for my own self-published work. Since then, I've seen TTT available at a few spots, such as Jim Hanley's Universe in Manhattan.

The most recent issue (of which I'm aware) is titled "TSUNAMI!" and recounts author/illustrator Justin Hall's journeys through Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam from November 2004 to February 2005.

I've only read this tsunami issue of the series, and I really enjoyed it. It was a quick, light read but thoughtfully executed. I found the unique perspective of Hall's honest, firsthand accounts to be refreshing. His simple black ink panel artwork adequately transported me to the scenes of his stories and triggered memories of my own backpacker adventures.

To learn more about True Travel Tales - and to see sample pages from the series, visit http://www.allthumbspress.com/.

Happy reading!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there This is a really great website. I was quite impressed with the work that you have done here. I just wanted to send you a quick message that I have really enjoyed it.

Tiki Chris said...

Thanks! It's my pleasure. If you ever have any info that you think would be good for any of my blogs, feel free to send it my way.

All the best,
Chris